DonorWorks 9.1 Server Setup
Follow these instructions even if you are installing DonorWorks 9.1 on only one computer. If you only use DonorWorks on one computer, that computer is considered both the server (the computer that has your data on it) and the client. You can ignore any instructions regarding additional client computers.
If you already have DonorWorks 9.1 installed in your office and wish to install on another computer, follow the instructions in the Client Setup section.
- Macintosh® - DonorWorks 9.1 operates under Mac OS X 10.6 or later.
- Windows® - DonorWorks 9.1 operates under Windows 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
For either Windows® or Macintosh®:
1. Begin by installing and launching DonorWorks 9.1 on your server as outlined in the Program Installation instructions.
2. The setup assistant welcome screen will appear. Click Continue.
DonorWorks will ask you to choose an option to configure your copy of DonorWorks.
Create a new, empty database - Choose this option UNLESS you have enrolled in the DonorWorks Data Hosting service or had Suran staff convert data for use in DonorWorks.
Click Continue and proceed to Step 4.
Use an existing DonorWorks 9.x database - Choose this option if you have enrolled in the DonorWorks Data Hosting Service. Click Continue.
Select Use DonorWorks Hosting and enter the User ID and Password emailed to you. Click Continue.
Setup is complete and you may login as the Administrator with the default password of "master" (no quotation marks). We strongly suggest you change the Administrator password from the default (click the small Change button next to the Password field on the Log In window).
If you contracted with Suran to convert data for use in DonorWorks, you will see your information. If not, this is a blank, empty database ready for you to begin inputting data. If you wish to install DonorWorks on additional computers, see the Donorworks 9.1 Client Setup and follow the instructions for users of the DonorWorks Data Hosting service. Otherwise, you may begin using DonorWorks.
Restore a DonorWorks 9.x backup - Choose this option if you had DonorWorks staff convert data for use on your local server.
You should have received email instructions to download and save the database backup to the computer that will be the DonorWorks database server. Click Continue, choose the database backup you previously saved and click Open. Setup is complete and you may login as the Administrator with the default password of "master" (no quotation marks). We strongly suggest you change the Administrator password from the default (click the small Change button next to the Password field on the Log In window).
3. Only if you are creating a new DonorWorks database you will need to enter the Serial Number you were given when purchasing DonorWorks. If you downloaded the installer, your serial number will be in the email you received with download instructions.
The easiest and most accurate way to enter your serial number is to copy it from the e-mail you received and paste it into the first serial number box. DonorWorks will automatically fill in the serial number. If you manually enter it, you do not need to type the dashes and it is not necessary to capitalize the letters. DonorWorks will automatically capitalize letters and move to the next field for each set of characters.
NOTE! DonorWorks serial numbers are a mix of capital letters and numerals.
Click Continue again.
At this point, if you are currently enrolled in either the free 90-days-from-date-of-purchase DonorWorks New Program Support or the annual DonorWorks Premier Support plan and have an active Internet connection, your copy of DonorWorks 9.1 should activate automatically. If you are unable to connect to the Internet or your copy of DonorWorks cannot be identified by the activation server, you will need to call DonorWorks Customer Service at 800-327-1476 for an activation code that you can enter manually. For more information about the DonorWorks activation system, see the Activation FAQs page.
4. Enter your organization's name, address, phone number, website or email address, etc. This information will (optionally) appear on the top of reports generated from DonorWorks. You will be able to change it at any time through System Preferences. Click Continue again.
5. Each person using DonorWorks should have his/her own password. DonorWorks allows you to customize your workspace through preferences, saved report format settings, and menu and window appearance—all of which is tied to your specific user account.
Among the users in an office, at least one person must be an Administrator, which means she/he is authorized to access User Management where all users' names, passwords, and access settings are established and maintained. During the setup process you must enter an Administrator's name and password. After completing the administrator's user information, click Continue.
6. Next tell DonorWorks where you would like to keep your data.
On this computer
Choose this option to install a database on this computer. This may be either the only computer on which you install and use DonorWorks or it may be the network database server. Click Continue.
- OR -
On another computer (such with DonorWorks Hosting)
Choose this option ONLY if you enrolled in the DonorWorks Data Hosting Service and need to create an additional database. Your initial hosted database will be created by Suran staff when you purchase the software (see Step 3 above). Click Continue.
Click the radio button next to Use DonorWorks Hosting and enter the User ID and Data Hosting Password given to you by DonorWorks and click Continue. Your DonorWorks database will be installed on a DonorWorks Hosting Server.
If you are not sure of which database server option to choose, contact DonorWorks Technical Support for help. Call 800-633-9581 Monday-Friday 8:30 AM-6:00 PM Eastern time.
7. Click Continue and click Finish on the next window to complete the installation process.
8. When the Setup Assistant is finished, the DonorWorks Login window will display.You may select your user (or enter your user name), enter your password and click Log In.
9. NOTE: If you are using DonorWorks on only one computer, you are finished with the installation/setup process.
If you want to have DonorWorks loaded on additional computers, continue with the steps below before moving to the Client Setup instructions.
10. If you will be installing DonorWorks 9.1 on client machines that access the database you just installed, you need to take note of the IP address of the server.
Select About DonorWorks from the File (Windows) or DonorWorks (Mac) menu.
11. Click the System Information tab. Make a note of the IP address displayed. You will need it when installing DonorWorks 9.1 on the client machines on your network. Click here to move to the Client Setup instruction page.
If you experience difficulties while setting up DonorWorks, call the DonorWorks Technical Support staff at 800-327-1476 Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM-6:00 PM Eastern time for assistance.