- On the Accounting menu, choose Ledger and under Ledger, choose Budget. Or on the Welcome to Accounting window, click the 3. Enter a budget button on the Getting Started tab or the Budget button on the Windows tab.
- Click the small Add Accounts button at the top of the window. This opens a window showing the Income and Expense Accounts in your Chart of Accounts.
A dialog box appears that allows you select the year for the added accounts. Enter the New Year, for example, 2011.
NOTE: The Add Accounts function can also be used to ad more accounts to an existing budget. In that case you would select an Existing Year from the droplist.
- Press Return/Enter or click OK. DonorWorks will create a blank budget window for the new year and open the Select Accounts window for you to choose the income and expense accounts to include in the Budget.
You may choose from a droplist at the bottom of the window to Show: Active Accounts Only, Inactive Accounts Only or both Active & Inactive Accounts. Below this droplist you can click a button to Show All accounts (within the selection from the droplist). Or click on Show Find Results, type a keyword in the Find: box and click Find. All acccounts (within the selection from the droplist) containing that keyword will be displayed. Using the Find feature allows you to work with smaller groupings of accounts.
NOTE: Accounts do not have to be added to the budget all at once. You may always save your work and later return to Add Accounts to the now-existing budget year.
Now that you have the desired list of accounts to choose from, you need to select which accounts you want to appear as budget line items. You can do this in several ways:
a) Click to highlight each line. Hold down the Control (Windows) or Command (Macintosh) key and click to select non-contiguous lines.
b) Press Control-A (Windows) or Command-A (Macintosh) to select all accounts. If there are accounts you do not want to include in the budget, hold down the Control (Windows) or Command (Macintosh) key and click those line items.
c) Click on the Account Browser tab at the top of the Select Account window. This will show the Income and Expense accounts in a tree-list format. The advantage to this is the ability to group the accounts by Type, Fund Balance, Category and/or Sub-Category. To sort the tree list, click the small Change button in the Browser Options section of the window. Select the first criteria by which you want to group accounts from the drop list. If you want to refine the grouping, press Tab and select another criteria and so on. You may choose to show the list in ascending or descending alphabetical order by clicking on the Asc. or Desc. radio button. Click OK and view your sortation in the window on the left.
Clicking on a box next to a group heading will select all accounts within that group. If you wish to select accounts individually or deselect some of the accounts in the group, click on the triangular arrow (Mac) or plus sign (Windows) to display checkboxes for the sub-groups (if any) and individual income and expense accounts.
For example, you could choose to group accounts by Fund Balance, then by Type (Income or Expense). The resulting tree list would look like the illustration below.
The accounts you select on the Account Browser tab of this window (by clicking on or off checkboxes) will automatically highlight on the Income/Expense Accounts tab.
NOTE: No matter which selection method you use, once you have the income and expense accounts selected that you want to appear on your budget, you can save them in a set which can be loaded the next time you enter a budget. Click the Save Set button at the bottom of the window, type a Set name and click OK. To load a saved set of accounts into a budget, click on the Load Set button.
- Click OK. Accounts you just added will appear in blue on the budget. As you move through each account, the color will revert to yellow when selected, and white when not selected.
- Enter the annual Amount for the first budget line and press the Tab key. The annual amount will be divided by 12 and entered into the 12 monthly breakdown fields. You may change these to different amounts as long as the Breakdown total equals the annual Amount. Refer to the documentation on the Budget Inspector for how to specify month breakdowns.
- When you are finished entering amounts, press Return/Enter or click Save.